Friday, May 18, 2007

Method or Madness?

Here you go, Captain Caveman!

Ecclesia and I have been talking a lot about methods people have for sharing the Gospel, so naturally I decided to throw some thoughts out there and see what other's take on it is.

There has been an ongoing debate recently about our responsibility in sharing the Gospel with others and what is the best way to do that? I think my conclusion is - there is no best way. I remember hearing an interview with Sara Groves one day on WRBS - she apparently had really struggled with the whole "working mom" issue. If I remember the circumstance correctly, she had been guilt ridden by the fact that she was the primary bread winner in the family, and how this didn't seem to jive with all she had been taught about what a "good, respectful, submissive" wife is. After much battling in prayer over the issue and her trying to force herself to do things the "right way" all the while feeling like she was trying to force a square peg into a round hole, she was given this revelation: God gives us a fence or framework within to work - in this case it was "respect your husband". Then He allows us creative reign within that fence with which to work. So her family situation is not going to look like mine, or yours. I feel the very same way about evangelism. God has given us the scriptures as a fence or a framework within to work, and then allows us to be creative within that fence to share the Gospel. What I need to find out is what is God calling ME to. I tried for years to be a "good fundamentalist Christian" and use the methods well-known to all of us and it felt forced, unnatural, and really unfruitful and I began feeling like a failure. I am coming to the conclusion that I failed because I relied on the method, not the Holy Spirit.

I was reading in John 15:13-17 "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. You are My friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you. This I command you, that you love one another." It seems to me that Christ is calling us to two things here: love and obedience. We cannot do either of these things without abiding in the Vine - which is what the beginning of John 15 explains. Jesus calls us to make disciples, not clones. We are a wonderfully diverse creation - I think that we all agree that not one person is like another. This is amazing to me -- so why do we insist on boxing people, and ultimately God into one way of doing things?

God is calling me to be alone, still and quiet. This is not an easy task for an extravert. But it is only in my aloneness that I can allow the Holy Spirit to focus my attention in the right area. It is only in my aloneness that I can hear what God is calling me to, because I cannot obey if I don't know what He is teling me. I have to stop listening to other's convictions and start allowing Jesus to lead me through the Holy Spirit. Iron sharpens iron and I am grateful for all the wonderful people that God has placed in my life -- this "great cloud of witnesses" -- but I am not called to follow people, I am called to follow Christ.

3 comments:

Captain Caveman said...

Hey Kez,

I will be thinking this one through over the next few days. I am looking forward to digging in deeper to this post and shedding my own insight on what you had to say. It may be similar or it may be slightly different but I can say that I will put my two cents in.

Sincerely,

Captain Caaaaave Maaaaaan!

Mark said...

Hey Kez,
I don't know you but I like what you had to say here. You said: "...I am not called to follow people, I am called to follow Christ."

And I like the Spirit in which you make that statement. There is real truth in it. Maybe I could add some thoughts to it.

Here are some thoughts from the apostle Paul:
"Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Cor. 11:1

So I think we need to follow the example of people who are leading others to Christ. The role of those leaders is to be leading people to Christ and not to themselves.

So we do end up needing to follow people. But hopefully those people are leading in the direction of Christ. And ultimately I agree with you. Our primary leader is Christ alone.

Kez said...

Mark,

Thanks for the added thoughts. What an amazing thing for Paul to be able to say. "Follow my example as I follow the example of Christ." It seems there is both humility and confidence in that statement. Hmmm.....I'm going to need to chew on that.

Thanks for your thoughts and for balancing mine. I suppose ultimately it stems from a heart attitude. Paul could say follow me only as long as he could add AS I FOLLOW CHRIST. This is the key isn't it? We can't be effective leaders unless we are following Christ. I guess I have been struggling a bit lately with the whole "there's only one way to do things" mentality and "if it isn't done this way, you're not doing it right". As I have been reading John and noticing the way Jesus interacts with people, I notice that He never seems to respond to people the same way twice. He healed several blind men and didn't use the same method twice. He tends to look at each situation and individual separately, knowing what each one needs. My conclusion is - the only way I can do the same thing is to know the Holy Spirit's voice intimately, and be able to follow His lead closely.

I struggle with ministries that take one passage of scripture - one individual situation and turn it into a step-by-step method of "how to get people saved".

Again, thanks for sharing.