Friday, March 9, 2007

The Great Divorce

Any C.S. Lewis fan will know why I chose this as my title. In my opinion, C.S. Lewis is one of the greatest thinkers of the last century. He spoke of the need to "divorce" ourselves from the world. I am a believer in Jesus Christ. I believe that He alone is the Way, the Truth and the Life and that no man comes to the Father, but through the Son. Some would call this narrow minded - sorry. I didn't make the rules. If there were any other way Jesus would not have had to come -His life, and more importantly, His death and resurrection would be meaningless. I cannot reach God - He is too holy, too righteous, too good - and I am not. Moses couldn't even look upon His face. I need to trust His mercy and grace through Jesus Christ. C.S. Lewis says in Mere Christianity that this decision to follow Christ is both the hardest and the easiest thing you will ever do for Jesus said "Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and my burden is light." and yet at another point says, "Take up your cross and follow me." He wants all of us - not just "Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights" as Keith Green puts it. So, the Great Divorce is about leaving this world behind and following Christ. My prayer is that many will join me in this, the greatest of all adventures!

No comments: